This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Monday, November 9, 2015

Broccoli Cheddar Soup


We have all been sick this past week, so all I've wanted to do was make a big ole pot of soup. This was probably the best soup I have ever made. I was extremely proud of this- especially since I winged the whole recipe. I made a huge pot of this - so feel free to cut the recipe in half if it seems like it'll be to much. You can also freeze the leftovers. 


INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 diced onion
  • 5 tablespoons flour
  • 32 oz chicken stock
  • 2 cups half and half 
  • 3 cups fresh broccoli chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup shredded carrots 
  • 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar
  • salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
The first thing I always do before I cook is set up my "miss en place", which essentially means to gather up all the ingredients and prepare them before you start cooking.

Chopped broccoli- 


Shredded carrots-


Shredded cheddar- 


Diced onions-


And the stuff for my soup base-


This way everything is set up and ready to go. 
No running around to find everything at the last minute. 

In a large pot melt the butter over medium high heat.

Add in onions and sauté until softened, 3-4 minutes.

Add in the flour and stir to make your roux.

Slowly add in the chicken broth. Allowing to thicken as you add it in.

Do the same with the half and half. 

Reduce to medium low and allow to simmer and thicken up. 

Add in broccoli and carrots. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes until veggies are tender. Stirring every few minutes. Reduce heat if to hot. 

Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. 



I served this with grilled cheese sandwiches. In my opinion the perfect friday night meal. The kids really loved this. I probably had 4 bowls over the course of the weekend. Ill only admit that here. Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment