This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Marinated Grilled Portobello Burgers


Made these beauties last night for our weekly "Meatless Monday". Great choice if I do say so myself. This was my first time marinating and grilling portobellos and it was actually a fast and easy meal. With only 30 minutes of prep/ marinating time then 15 on the grill, I had this meal done in less than an hour. 

INGREDIENTS:
  • 6 large portobello mushroom caps, stems removed and caps washed and patted dry
  • 3/4 cup dry white wine
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • wheat bulky rolls
  • sliced mozzarella 
  • your choice of toppings (we did sliced tomato, onions and jalapeños)

Combine the white wine, soy sauce, balsamic, garlic, 
and olive oil together to make your marinade. 

Arrange portobellos on a baking sheet 
and spoon about 1/2 of the marinade into the caps.


Let marinate for about 30 minutes. Every 10 minutes or so spoon some
more marinade into the mushrooms. 

Preheat grill over medium/ high. 
Once up to temp- place mushrooms gill side up on the grill.


Close cover and grill for about 5 minutes.

Flip them and grill for an additional 3-5 minutes. Until soft and juicy.

The last minute of cooking shut the heat off- throw your cheese on, cover it again and wait 1-2 minutes for the cheese to melt.

Serve on a wheat roll with your choice of toppings.


I really thought these were absolutely delicious. I made my kids with a little ketchup on it and just told them it was a burger... They accepted it well enough. Hubby approved too! Served with creamy pea and onion pasta salad on the side was an awesome veggie dinner that eats like a meaty dinner. Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment