This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Creamy Pea and Onion Pasta Salad


The original recipe I got this from uses chives instead of onions. I've done it both ways. Many times. This has literally been the only pasta salad I've been making all spring/ summer long. It is seriously AMAZINGGG. I prefer the chives, for their mild flavor and great color. Using very finely diced onion is just as delicious too. Be careful though, to much onion can throw this dish overboard. Less is more when it comes to raw onions.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 8 oz of pasta (you're choice! In the picture about was a mixture of rigatoni and farfalle)
  • 1 cup of peas (I use frozen peas and just let them defrost while pasta cooks)
  • 1/2 cup mayo
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard 
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup fresh chives chopped (or 2 tablespoons finely diced onion)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Cook pasta according to directions for al dente. 

When the pasta is cooked drain in a colander and run cold water (shock) the pasta so it stops cooking and cools down.

In a large bowl combine the pasta, peas, mayo, mustard, 
vinegar, onions, salt and pepper.

Like I said above, I've made this pasta salad with different kinds of onions and different kind of pasta- and you literally can't go wrong with this recipe. The combination of the creamy mayo, the tangy mustard and vinegar and fresh peas and chives- its just the best pasta salad Ive ever made. And I'm happy to pass it along to you! Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment