This was last weeks "Taco Tuesday" excursion in the Forgione household! It was a hit! Everyone was a little concerned at first with having "just a salad" for dinner. However, served with some tortilla chips on the side, this was no meal to complain over. Prep was fast, and making the dressing from scratch was fun to do. This is a meal you can totally prep, then have the kids dump everything into the bowl and- Voila! They've helped make dinner! How exciting for them!
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 cups chopped grilled chicken
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1-2 peeled and diced avocados (we went with 2)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup corn (8oz can is fine)
- 1 (150z) can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- juice of 1 lime
- tortilla chips
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- juice from 2 limes
- salt to taste
- (original recipe called for 1 teaspoon of chili powder as well- I left it out fearing it would be to spicy for the kiddos- feel free to add it in!)
In a large bowl combine lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, corn and black beans. Toss lightly with the juice of 1 lime. Add in chicken.
Prepare dressing by combining the sour cream, cilantro, chipotle,
cumin, lime juice and salt.
Pour the dressing on to the salad, toss to coat the salad evenly.
Serve with tortilla chips.
I could categorize this as an under 30 minute meal. Easy, quick, and delicious. Perfect for a hot weeknight when the last thing you want to do is turn on the stove. Cheers!
Adapted from: Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad