This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Spinach and Cheese Lasagna Rolls

     

I have actually made these a few times in the past few months (while I've been on my flogging hiatus), and now this is my favorite way to do lasagna. It makes the exact right amount of portions. We all know how making a 9x13 pan of lasagna can leave an obscene amount of leftovers. This makes 9 rolls, which fits perfectly in a baking dish. Fed the 4 of us, then even had just enough left for lunch the next day. Not feeling wasteful, or obligated to eat lasagna for the next 4 days.  Perfect!

INGREDIENTS:

  • 9 lasagna noodles (I used wheat noodles)
  • 10 oz frozen chopped spinach. thawed and drained. Squeeze all extra liquid out
  • 15 oz ricotta
  • 1/2 cup grated parm cheese
  • 1 egg
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 - 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese (depending on how cheesy you want it)
  • tomato sauce (I usually make my own, feel free to use your favorite jarred sauce)
First you want to par cook your noodles. Place them in a large skillet and cover noodles with water. Cook over med/ high heat for about 10 minutes until they are just softened and pliable. Drain them and set aside. 


Preheat oven to 350. 

Ladle a few spoonfuls of sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Just enough to cover the bottom.

 Combine spinach, ricotta, parm, egg, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix well.

Spoon about 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture on each noodle, and spread evenly. 

Roll each noodle up, and place seam side down in baking dish. 

Ladle a little more sauce over the top of all the lasagna rolls. 

Top evenly with shredded mozzarella cheese. 

Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!





This was a Meatless Monday meal. You can use this as a base recipe and make a meat rolled lasagna as well. I did a zucchini and mushroom one a few weeks after I tried this recipe out. As I usually say, the combinations are endless! Cheers!



Adapted from:













No comments:

Post a Comment