This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Monday, August 10, 2015

Eggplant Pizzas


Sorry for the picture quality, and lack of picture directions. I was on vacation when I made these guys for our Meatless Monday. So all I got was a picture of the finished product. These were delish. The kids loved making them- and wished I had brought more toppings than just the cheese. Next time I'll let them pick from a variety of veggie toppings.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 large firm eggplant
  • 1-2 cups prepared tomato sauce
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella
  • olive oil
  • italian seasoning
  • salt and pepper 

Slice the eggplant into about 3/4 inch thick slices. Arrange on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. This will extract some of the moisture and bitterness from the eggplant. 

After about 30 minutes you can blot the eggplant slices dry with paper towels. This will remove the bitterness and excess salt.

Arrange eggplant slices on a baking sheet, brush each slice with olive oil and sprinkle with italian seasoning.

Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes. Don't bake to long that they become to mushy.

Remove from the oven and top with sauce and a generous amount of shredded cheese.

Place back in oven under the broiler for about 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden brown.


I will for sure be making these again. This was the "cheat" version of the recipe I read. The original (see below), gives directions on how to make your own tomato sauce and what not. Since I was on vacation when I made these I took the easy way out. Check out both and see which one you'd like to try. Cheers!


Adapted from: Eggplant Pizzas




No comments:

Post a Comment