This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger with Avocado Spread


Every time I make a veggie burger, I swear they get better and better. This time they were the perfect constancy, texture, taste and size. It was seriously the best veggie burger I've ever eaten. This was my Meatless Monday meal for yesterday!

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 cooked sweet potato (skin removed)
  • 1/2 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 1 diced jalapeño (seeds removed)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 cloved diced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning 
  • 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
  • 1 avocado
  • 2-3 tablespoons greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
  • juice from 1 lime
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • wheat buns
  • spring mix greens
Add sweet potato, beans, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, garlic and cajun seasoning to a food processor. Pulse until a smooth consistency, you may need to stop and scrape down sides a few times. Transfer mixture from processor to a mixing bowl and combine with the cooked brown rice. Taste- add more seasoning if needed. 

Shape into patties (I like mine on the thin side), and place on a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or more.

Heat some veggie oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Fry each veggie burger for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. 

To make the spread, smash together the avocado, cilantro, yogurt and lime in a bowl until it reaches a thick consistency, chunky texture. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve veggie burgers on a wheat bun with greens and avocado spread.

As I'm typing this, it's almost lunch time- and I have a leftover veggie burger in the fridge with my name on it. I can't wait to eat it. Such a great, fresh burger. This is going to be my go to recipe from now on. Love it! Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment